May 30, 2014
• New York Giants cornerback Prince Amukamara recently learned what Jews have known all along: Bar Mitzvah parties can be really fun.
• "Nation-wide whiskey shortage" is the scariest thing I've ever heard. I'm stockpiling.
• Louis C.K. bought Babe Ruth's old house for $2.5 million.
• Twins fans may not want to believe it, but Carlos Gomez is one of the dozen best players in baseball and that might actually be underselling him at this point.
• What happens when a social media manager takes 45 days to build the "perfect" tweet and no one cares even a little bit?
• I watched a grown woman literally start to cry while looking at this video.
• On this week's "Gleeman and The Geek" episode we previewed the Twins' top-five draft pick with Jeremy Nygaard and Kate Butler introduced John Bonnes to Wu-Tang Clan.
• I would have bet a whole lot of money against it ever happening, but Ben Revere hit a home run that traveled over the fence:
Shoutout to Reid Brignac for quickly convincing the entire Phillies dugout to give Revere the silent treatment afterward.
• Are the Twins doing the right thing by letting Aaron Hicks give up switch-hitting?
• I chatted with Paul Allen on KFAN for a half-hour Thursday and topics included Hicks, Joe Mauer, sabermetrics in mainstream media coverage, and whether it's acceptable for non-Jews to describe someone's hair as a "Jewfro." So, you know, the truly important stuff.
• I can't believe they let this "Steve Neuman" character on television like he's a real person.
• Old friend Pat Neshek is healthy again and thriving with the Cardinals.
• I'm not really into steakhouses and actually liked the food at Uptown Cafeteria, but I'm getting more and more excited about James Beard award-winning chef Tim McKee opening Libertine a couple blocks from my place.
• It turns out that Don Draper had a brief MLB career.
• All-Star voting has always been questionable.
• New restaurant recommendation: Louie's Wine Dive just opened on Lake Street in Uptown and I had one of the best meals I've ever eaten there. Pork gnocchi and pork shank, plus some lobster macaroni and cheese. Nice place, great food, friendly staff. Go check it out.
• Some of this week's weird and random search engine queries that brought people here:
- "Trevor Plouffe trade rumors"
- "Jim Thome shirtless interview"
- "Al Newman baseball reputation"
- "Can't stop thinking of food"
- "Adrian Gonzalez big bulge"
- "Fat old man"
- "Who is Joe Nathan's wife dating?"
- "Man wearing football socks"
• Finally, this week's AG.com-approved music video is John Mayer covering "XO" by Beyonce:
This week's blog content is sponsored by R.F. Moeller Jeweler's repair department, which is recognized as the premier jewelry repair facility in the Twin Cities. Please support them for supporting AG.com.