January 24, 2014
• Saturday night's Twins Daily event is almost sold out again even after jamming in some more tickets, but we're hoping to record the panel discussions for a podcast that everyone can listen to later and you can submit questions for Twins president Dave St. Peter and my mom's all-time favorite player Scott Erickson.
• Grantland's oral history of "Swingers" is really good and nicely presented too.
• If you're like me and think the law banning the sale of alcohol on Sundays is outdated, absurd, and annoying you'll want to sign this petition. It's the only political cause I've ever cared about.
• Having an essay in the new "Baseball Prospectus" book is one of the great thrills of my life and 18-year-old me would be giddy. It's ready for pre-order, with February 11 as the shipping date.
• Mike Axisa of CBSSports.com put together an all-time single-season Twins team, although including the Senators kind of ruins it for me.
• On this week's "Gleeman and The Geek" episode John Bonnes couldn't stop laughing at me for being a human man who may or may not have attended a kite festival.
• I watched all 14 minutes of "pissed off goalies" and would have gladly watched another 14:
Patrick Roy seems like a maniac.
• This is my personal brand now.
• Three months ago police killed a guy in my neighborhood and now there was a SWAT team standoff, which is why I'm moving to Uptown for some peace and quiet.
• It wasn't really my style, but if you're looking for an apartment in Uptown that's spacious and charming with a really nice landlord go check out this place.
• If the Uptown move doesn't work out I'm thinking of just buying the house from "Roseanne."
• President Carter, Young Money Democrat.
• I'd kind of like to make a mockery of the Star Tribune's "crush contest," so go vote for me.
UPDATE: Mission accomplished, I guess.
• Ricky Rubio was the cutest, again.
• Friend of AG.com Maggie LaMaack's unstoppable, take-no-prisoners media blitz continues, including this gem: "LaMaack, meanwhile, has shattered her iPhone again."
• If you don't know a woman who would wear these you're doing something wrong with your life.
• Sunday night I watched a grown man I consider a friend do this and I'll forever be thankful that we caught it on video:
If you're curious, he called that "super-manning" the beer pong table.
• Possum Plows' latest is a Frank Ocean duet cover, which as you might expect is directly in my wheelhouse.
• Phil Mackey is Judd Zulgad's new co-host on 1500-ESPN, replacing Jeff Dubay and leaving Patrick Reusse on his own in the afternoons.
• I loved Morgan Murphy's new stand-up comedy special on Netflix.
• Hannibal Buress is coming to the Varsity Theater next month. I saw him at Acme Comedy Company last year and he was fantastic.
• Some of this week's weird and random search engine queries that brought people here:
- "Consistently good podcasts"
- "Was Denard Span once called the next Kirby Puckett?"
- "Former friends catching up"
- "Are people nicer now that you've lost weight?"
- "Marc Maron hair transplant"
- "Lizzy Caplan facial hair"
- "Did Joe Mauer switch teams?"
- "Why do men have beards?"
- "Aaron Gleeman at Stella's in Uptown"
- "Traveling to New Zealand"
• Finally, this week's AG.com-approved music video is "Born Sinner" by J. Cole: