December 10, 2004
I really think current high school seniors should be grandfathered into this thing, because otherwise they are really getting a raw deal. The article has all sorts of other interesting stuff, including the athletics director of a major university saying the words "just as last year we had the Deja Vu incident." For those of you either not living in Minnesota or living here but under a rock, "Deja Vu" is a local "gentlemen's club." I'll let you use your imagination regarding the "incident."
These activities are banned under the new guidelines for athletic recruiting.
- Consuming alcoholic beverages, regardless of age
- Use of strippers, either in clubs or private parties
- Use of sexual activity as a recruiting device
- Gambling or gaming activities
- Use of illegal drugs
Also, who knew the going rate for genital herpes was more than the going rate for John Mabry?
Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Jose Lima could have to pay a woman who claims she contracted genital herpes from him as much as $950,000, the woman's attorney said Thursday.
As if that weren't enough, he also had an article in the New York Times this week about better ways to evaluate NFL running backs. If I could accomplish just one of those things, I'm pretty sure I'd call it a successful career, so from now on he is definitely "the Aaron."
Today at The Hardball Times:
- Free Agent Wrap-Up: The First Wave (by Aaron Gleeman)
- National Attention: The Expos' 35-Year Journey to Washington D.C. (by Brian Borawski)
- Gathering (by Bill James)