March 8, 2013
• Trent Reznor and Carly Rae Jepsen don't know it, but they made a catchy song together.
• I can finally put all those pointless years of Hebrew school to some use and read it (from right to left) for the articles.
• Last week Nikola Pekovic met Zach Galifianakis, so this week he dressed up as him.
• I'm loving David Brauer's "returning to college as a 53-year-old" updates.
• Louis C.K. and Hank Aaron were on "Late Night With Conan O'Brien" together in 1993.
• This is the quickest I've ever deleted an e-mail.
• I'm guessing we'll probably never see Terry Ryan do this.
• Aaron Hicks had a decent Thursday afternoon, if you're into that type of thing.
• And to think, a day earlier some idiot claimed the Twins have three prospects better than Hicks.
• This week's "Gleeman and The Geek" episode features lengthy discussions on Ron Gardenhire's future with the Twins and why Liam Hendriks could be the top Australian pitcher ever.
• Last week in this space I wondered if it was finally time to replace Mila Kunis as Official Fantasy Girl of AG.com and then she went and did this:
To be clear: I'm not the interviewer in that video, but I certainly could have been.
• Speaking of which: Back off, LeBron.
• News story lead sentence of the week: "A quick-thinking worker at Dunkin' Donuts threw hot coffee at a man who tried to climb through the drive-through window to rob the store, telling him 'go run on Dunkin'' as he fled."
• Blake Griffin and Jamal Crawford teamed up for an in-game dunk better than anything in the dunk contest, and Griffin's reaction afterward is pretty good too.
• Sad, disturbing details about the death of a Nationals prospect in the Dominican Republic.
• Torii Hunter may disagree, but Justin Verlander says the Tigers' clubhouse would be a good atmosphere for a gay teammate.
• I almost like the 1995 opening of "Breaking Bad" better, if only for the Foreigner.
• This is what happens when a blogger leaves the house.
• I used to think Barry Bonds posting a .480 on-base percentage at age 42 was amazing, but then I learned Nigella Lawson is 53. On a related note, I've been watching "The Taste" on ABC despite the fact that it's not a very compelling show.
• An eating contest involving seafood seems to be asking for trouble. And it definitely got it.
• As a fan of comedy, women, Jews, and working from bed this is basically the perfect video:
Joan Rivers and Sarah Silverman are so great together that I sent the link to my grandma.
• Fank you to whoever put together this Adele video.
• Delmon Young is making fast friends with another group of media members.
• I watched "Chelsea Lately" for the first (and probably last) time and this GIF explains why.
• My mom, who apparently watches "Chelsea Lately" regularly, offered this unsolicited review.
• Agents are agents in fake baseball too.
• Carson Cistulli's weekly chat with Dayn Perry was spectacular, as usual.
• Congrats to my former The Hardball Times partner, Dave Studeman, for winning this year's "Analytics Research Award" from SABR.
• Podcast recommendation: "The Crab Feast" with Jay Larson and Ryan Sickler. Get started with a Jen Kirkman episode, because she's always a can't-miss podcast guest.
• Mark your calendars: Twins Daily is having a get-together/viewing party on March 23 to watch the Saturday afternoon Twins-Rays spring training game on television. Starting at noon we'll be hanging out at 612 Brew in Northeast Minneapolis, drinking beer and talking baseball.
• Some of this week's weird and random search engine queries that brought people here:
- "Marney Gellner age"
- "Will Chinese buffet kill my Atkins diet?"
- "I'm 29 years old and lost"
- "Corey Koskie net worth"
- "Chuck Berry and Sammy Sosa"
- "Brian Dinkelman girlfriend"
- "Is Terry Gross a baseball fan?"
- "How much does Louis C.K. weigh?"
- "Anthony Slama's mom"
- "Gleeman fashion"
• Finally, this week's AG.com-approved music video is "Sweet Wanomi" by Bill Withers:
This week's blog content is sponsored by Rotoworld's annual "Fantasy Baseball Draft Guide," which is available in both magazine and online versions. Please support them for supporting AG.com.
Greatest. Interview. Ever. I’m ready to have a Blue Moon and watch old Baywatch episodes, right now.
In other words, no need to look for a new OFGAG anytime soon.
Comment by mariettamouthpiece — March 8, 2013 @ 7:10 am
i love that your mom signs her emails:
Comment by matt — March 8, 2013 @ 9:57 am
Might rival that lead . . .
Comment by Shane — March 8, 2013 @ 5:16 pm
Long time listener to the podcast, and am the proud uploader/poster of the Louis CK/Hank Aaron on Conan clip. More good stuff to come.
Comment by Steve — March 8, 2013 @ 7:35 pm