June 21, 2013
• Three weeks ago I started re-watching "The Sopranos" and became obsessed with the show all over again a decade later, posting screen shots and comments on Twitter. It's amazing how well the show holds up and in particular James Gandolfini's performance is even more powerful and captivating now, which is why his death at age 51 seems so damn unfair. Rarely has there been such a perfect marriage between a great part and a great actor.
• As a struggling 26-year-old actor Gandolfini was featured in a New York Times story from May 20, 1988 about "the apartment gypsies of Manhattan."
• I'd probably be just as guilty of this as everyone else if not for the fact that I have a Blackberry instead of an iPhone, but "Pictures Of Hipsters Taking Pictures Of Food" is great.
• Gillian Jacobs from "Community" is a big NBCSports.com fan, obviously.
• Tuesday the bus carrying the Twins' rookie-ball Elizabethton team was involved in a fatal crash when it was struck by a car going the wrong way at 4:25 in the morning.
• Where does Oswaldo Arcia rank among the best young hitters in Twins history?
• Jay-Z would be so proud.
• For any Minnesotans who use the Amazon Associates program, this really sucks.
• Justin Morneau finally snapped his career-long homerless streak Wednesday night and then high-fived some invisible teammates:
Good quote, too: "You can stand there and look like an idiot or high-five the air like an idiot. I chose to high-five the air like an idiot."
• Sure it's a long commute, but my new office is really nice.
• Speaking of my office, you can go behind the scenes of Hardball Talk.
• I almost want to go back to high school just to steal this yearbook quote.
• Manny Ramirez hit .352/.422/.555 in 49 games in Taiwan and increased his team's attendance by 412 percent.
• I've never really been into superhero movies, but I'm in favor of the new Superman reboot if Henry Cavill can get chest hair to make a comeback.
• Jon Rauch might be 6-foot-10 with neck tattoos, but Matt Harvey is Matt Harvey.
• LeBron James was great and all, but Mike Miller made a three-pointer with one shoe on.
• Joe Torre's daughter caught a falling baby.
• This week's "Gleeman and The Geek" episode includes a weird story about me being followed by the cops, plus lots on Samuel Deduno, Byron Buxton, Anthony Slama, and Arcia.
• Oh, and John Bonnes was a guest on "The Sportive" podcast. He even said naughty words.
• Fans of "The Shining" will really enjoy this behind-the-scenes look at life on the set with Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall, Danny Lloyd, Scatman Crothers, and Stanley Kubrick in 1980:
Vivian Kubrick shot the footage.
• It's not so much that Mase is able to speak to god as it is god is able to speak to Mase.
• Here's an example of the type of newspaper sports column that makes people read bloggers.
• Kiernan Shipka on playing Sally Draper: "My eyes, by the end of this season, were so rolled out. I couldn't move them!"
• My favorite GIF from this week's "Mad Men" was a no-brainer.
• Jon Hamm and Cardinals third baseman David Freese are "text pals."
• You can have Kanye West and Kim Kardashian. I'll take this couple.
• City Pages is looking for a full-time staff writer, which sounds like a pretty good opportunity.
• Last month I accidentally left "The American" off my top 10 movies of all-time list, but watched it again this week for probably the 20th time and have yet to stop loving the slow burn.
• Some of this week's weird and random search engine queries that brought people here:
- "Aaron Glee"
- "Aaron Gleem"
- "Aaron Gleemna"
- "Arron Gleeman"
- "Aaron Glemman"
- "Sid Hartman ridiculous"
- "Pizza Luce security guards"
- "Trevor Plouffe shirtless"
- "Carlos Gomez shirtless"
- "John Bonus Twins"
- "Where is Shane Mack?"
- "Greg Gagne net worth"
- "Who pays Dick Bremer's salary?"
• Finally, this week's AG.com-approved music video is "Woke Up This Morning" by Alabama 3, which is better known as "The Sopranos" opening theme:
Interested in sponsoring a week of AG.com and advertising your product, service, local business, or website directly to thousands of readers each day? Click here for details.
Abundantly clear now why people read bloggers.
Comment by Oldgoat_MN — June 21, 2013 @ 8:18 am
Any LENIII column should have the same effect…Lanthandum Vanadium Iodine Iodine Iodine Sulfur Uranium Carbon Potassium Sulfur!
Comment by Money — June 22, 2013 @ 9:29 pm