November 22, 2013
• It never disappoints when a local Minnesota media member makes it on Deadspin.
• Let's pool our money and hire Frank Stallone to play a New Year's Eve blogger meet-up.
• This makes me want to find my doppelganger and just be like "sorry man, I know it's rough."
• Me and this baby from Indonesia have officially swapped bad habits.
• I set my alarm each night, yet wake up a few minutes before it goes off 99 out of 100 mornings, which makes a lot more sense after reading about the science of it on Mental Floss.
• Gophers football coach Jerry Kill on Minneapolis Star Tribune columnist Jim Souhan: "Kiss my ass. I'm going to show you. I'm a Division I coach, OK? I've got epilepsy. I've been doing this shit and winning for a long time. I'll show you."
• Don't pay attention to this troubling report. Cuddling season has officially started in Minnesota. Lower those standards, send out some desperate texts, and get cuddling!
• I've always said that relationships and baseball don't mix.
• Ricky Rubio got super dressed up to meet Selena Gomez.
• This week's "Gleeman and The Geek" episode features the first f-bomb in the podcast's history, along with lots of talk about Joe Mauer changing positions and me getting married. It's also the first brunch episode we've done, so you can hear what I sound like hungover and on zero sleep.
• On a related note, here's an important message about the future of "Gleeman and The Geek."
• Before he became a great big-league catcher Mauer was a great high school quarterback and this KARE-11 feature on him from 2000 is worth watching just for his glasses:
And no sideburns!
• Dave Chappelle capped his epic week in Minnesota with a midnight basketball game/pancake breakfast at Target Center. Prince even sent a $25,000 donation for charity.
• During the show I was at Monday night Chappelle talked to an audience member about a local rapper named Tall Paul. They met later in the week and now Tall Paul is getting some press.
• Lorde's song "Royals" was inspired by ... George Brett?
• And here's an interesting cover version of "Royals."
• Even the people who sell boner pills aren't making their employees use BlackBerry any more.
• Living legend Carson Cistulli of Fan Graphs chatted with my former Hardball Times partner Dave Studeman and approximately six minutes in they discussed my social habits, with Cistulli concluding: "Aaron actually is very sweet despite what I've said about him."
• Proud to say that Randball's Stu used the best bathroom in America on our date last month.
• In fairness, television is great and men are gross.
• For those of you with massive crushes on baseball bloggers, Jamie Shupak of How About We explains how to transition an online relationship offline, including: "The first time my fiance ever contacted me was through a direct message on Twitter."
• Meanwhile, hooking up via direct messages just got a little more difficult.
• Facebook data shows that people are weirdly racist when it comes to online dating and also that Minneapolis is one of the pickiest cities "based on the lowest number of responses from women."
• Honestly, without this some of us bring nothing to the table (literally and figuratively).
• As if burritos weren't sexy enough already on their own, toss in some D'Angelo and boom:
Just a good all-around use of the internet, really.
• Shoutout to all the Jewish boys who suddenly have big dreams after seeing the Adam Levine news this week. Now go do some situps.
• Can the Twins get anything out of Jason Bartlett and why did they send Duke Welker back to the Pirates two months after acquiring him in the Justin Morneau trade? I'm glad you asked.
• MLB teams hired away two more Baseball Prospectus writers.
• My future wife is getting more obscure with her cover song choices, but her hair remains great.
• I found this "how did we end up married" video equal parts sappy and delightful.
• "The American" just got added to Netflix instant. One of my dozen or so favorite movies, with a great slow burn and George Clooney being George Clooney.
• Beards have now reached Minneapolis Star Tribune trend piece status.
• You could say the Marlins want Juan Uribe to prove it all night, prove it all night.
• This is how I make new fans on Twitter.
• This is the website of the man who coached me through my Bar Mitzvah. No further comment.
• Never forget: Life is amazing.
• As part of a Saturday bachelor party I'm tailgating at the Gophers-Badgers football game to kick off an all-day party bus bender, so my Twitter account should be pretty annoying/amusing.
• Some of this week's weird and random search engine queries that brought people here:
- "Aaron Gleeman married"
- "Aaron Glee"
- "How can an unhealthy teen boy lose 100 pounds?"
- "Boys face stuffing"
- "Top travesties"
- "Doing the truffle shuffle"
- "Twins nerd on KFAN"
- "Effects of the drug known as Kubel"
- "Cory Cove pornstar"
• Finally, this week's AG.com-approved music video is "Unbroken Promise" by Erick Baker:
Interested in sponsoring a week of AG.com and advertising your product, service, local business, or website directly to thousands of readers each day? Click here for details.
I was horrified watching your chef friend use a fork, to stir Green Beans in a teflon pan. Also, people still use margarine?
Comment by jeff huinker — November 23, 2013 @ 6:56 am
Watched “The American” on your recommendation. Top 12?
Comment by Gregg Bendtsen — November 27, 2013 @ 9:38 pm