January 9, 2015
• Twins Daily is throwing their second annual "Winter Meltdown" event on the Saturday of Twins Fest--which January 24--and you're all invited. Tickets go on sale Monday and last year the event sold out in four hours. This year's special guests include Twins president Dave St. Peter and two popular former Twins players, although Scott Erickson will not be making a return appearance after shocking everyone with his handsomeness last year.
• Be warned: If you argue about sports on Twitter some people will drive a long way to fight you.
• Important question with an interesting answer: "Why do Jews eat Chinese food on Christmas?"
• Rosemary Counter responded to a Craiglist "missed connection" post that seemed to fit her description and then things got crazy.
• Greg Howard's lengthy Jon Jones profile on Deadspin was a fascinating read made even more fascinating by Jones beating Daniel Cormier and then immediately testing positive for cocaine.
• I ranked the 30 best Minnesotans to follow on Twitter.
• On this week's "Gleeman and The Geek" episode we argued about the merits of extending Phil Hughes and signing Tim Stauffer. And my favorite server forced me to take a birthday shot.
• Nicole Kidman went on "The Tonight Show" to inform Jimmy Fallon that years ago she had a crush on him and arranged a meeting only to have him unknowingly botch the whole thing:
Women should never, ever forget that men are generally clueless and occasionally need a push in the right direction.
• Things have gone from bad to worse for Mase, who lost 1.5 million followers when Instagram cracked down on spam accounts and then decided to just delete his account.
• Edward Herrmann, whose many roles included one of the few semi-likable "Gilmore Girls" characters in Richard Gilmore, died at age 71.
• Safe to say Brody Brixton is the Byron Buxton of French bulldogs and now all I want to do is find the Miguel Sano.
• As if "Foxcatcher" wasn't depressing enough already, now Mark Schultz is furious with director Bennett Miller about how he was portrayed by Channing Tatum in the movie.
• FanGraphs thinks the Twins' defense is going to be really, really bad (again).
• St. Paul native, former Gophers star, and one-time JCC basketball league scoring machine Jack Hannahan is going to Korea.
• I listened to all 12 episodes of "Serial" but definitely enjoyed the "Saturday Night Live" spoof more than the actual show:
That is truly nailing an impression.
• I need two new owners my "Hardball Dynasty" league on WhatIfSports. Click here for details.
• Owned by the Pohlad family, the radio home of the Twins has switched formats, but the station will remain mostly music.
• My favorite podcast is "Stop Podcasting Yourself" with Dave Shumka and Graham Clark, and this week's episode with guest Conor Holler is a particularly good one.
• Netflix recommendation: It's depressing, but all six installments of the British mini-series "Black Mirror" are fascinating and really well done as a sort of new school "Twilight Zone."
• Black Sheep Pizza just opened a new location on Nicollet Avenue with a nice space, big bar, and meat skewers in addition to the great pizza.
• Some of this week's weird and random search engine queries that brought people here:
- "Michael Cuddyer's enchilada recipe"
- "Menu for Spoon and Stable restaurant"
- "Paul Molitor's brother"
- "Jewish fans and Delmon Young"
- "Robin Wright smoking pot"
- "Derek Jeter on Howard Stern"
- "Pictures of outfielder throwing to infielder"
- "Mike Berardino criticized"
• Finally, this week's AG.com-approved music video is "Ghost" by Ella Henderson:
This week's blog content is sponsored by Uber, which is offering a free ride to first-time users who sign up with the promo code "UberGleeman."
Now I’m curious, what IS Michael Cuddyer’s enchilada recipe?
Comment by Scott — January 11, 2015 @ 1:33 pm
There is a Taco Johns inside of a gas station in St. Michael between the high school and the outlet mall.
Comment by Karl — January 12, 2015 @ 11:29 am