August 29, 2014
• We're broadcasting next week's "Gleeman and The Geek" episode live from the KFAN booth at the State Fair from 4-6 p.m. Sunday afternoon. Come sit in the bleachers and stare at us. And also bring me some Sweet Martha's Cookies.
• On a related note, Sweet Martha's Cookies generates the most State Fair revenue and it's nearly three times more than any other vender.
• Mariners minor league Jesus Montero went into the stands with a bat after a Mariners scout heckled him with an ice cream sandwich. And that description doesn't even do the story justice.
• Stephon Marbury is starring in a musical in China based on his life.
• Woman charged with attempted murder for driving her car into a man over a "bar tab dispute" at The Bulldog in Uptown, which is why you should go to Nightingale instead.
• Paying for "Invisible Girlfriend" has to be easier than Tinder for a lot of people.
• Minnesota Public Radio has started a new podcast network and my beloved Steve "Randball's Stu" Neuman is running it.
• We recorded this week's "Gleeman and The Geek" episode half at the KFAN studio and half on the Twins Daily light rail pub crawl while being joined by an assortment of guests.
• Drake and Nicki Minaj went to a convenience store to buy a whole bunch of snacks:
We're in agreement about Cheetos.
• Natasha Lyonne is dating Fred Armison, which seems like an all-time weird couple.
• Speaking of which, Anna Wintour and Michael Jordan went on a tennis date.
• Braves shortstop Andrelton Simmons is a hit-stealing monster.
• A hearty congratulations to Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie for getting married. Now they can finally have sex.
• After two decades of awful teams Royals manager Ned Yost shamed fans for low attendance, so Kansas City Star columnist Sam Mellinger destroyed him. And then my HardballTalk colleague Joe Posnanski explained why attendance shaming is so misguided.
• I have a couple openings in my "Hardball Dynasty" league on WhatIfSports and the new season begins next week. Click here for details.
• Given the team's self-created difficult circumstances Timberwolves fans should be happy about the return they got for Kevin Love, but Glen Taylor should still probably stop talking.
• I was on the fence about rekindling my long-dormant Timberwolves fandom and then this video pushed me over the edge:
I'm sure they'll figure out the non-dunking stuff at some point.
• Joel Przybilla just retired after 13 seasons and nearly $45 million in career earnings.
• Would you let this man manage your baseball team?
• Justin Morneau was almost traded to the Brewers, but the Rockies pulled him back off waivers.
• Rochester, New York signed a two-year extension with the Twins to remain their Triple-A home.
• Better late than never: "Gleeman and The Geek" producer Kate Butler just sent me this video of Brandon Broxey, Dana Wessel, Parker Hageman, Holly Manthei, and others "dancing" at my house party last year. I've since moved, thankfully.
• I always enjoy when Alicia Tobin is a guest on "Stop Podcasting Yourself" with Graham Clark and Dave Shumka.
• Some of this week's weird and random search engine queries that brought people here:
- "David Kahn baseball"
- "John Bonnes on KFAN"
- "How fast can Oswaldo Arcia swing?"
- "Wessel pornstar"
- "Scott Ullger horrible"
- "Has Angelina Jolie ever been to Minnesota?"
- "Actor who looks like Eduardo Escobar"
• Finally, this week's AG.com-approved music video is "Am I Wrong" by Nico and Vinz:
This week's blog content is sponsored by Uber, which is offering a free ride to first-time users who sign up with the promo code "UberGleeman."