August 8, 2014
• Well, this is a first on HardballTalk: "Seth Stohs of Twins Daily reports ..."
• Former general manager turned media member Jim Bowden had a very rough trade deadline and made things worse for himself at every stop along the way.
• I'm so sick of these nerds like Glen Perkins trying to act like they know so much about baseball when they never even played the game.
• Gregg Popovich and the Spurs do things their own way and also a great way.
• According to the Philadelphia Daily News the Wolves will get Anthony Bennett from the Cavs in the Kevin Love-Andrew Wiggins trade and then flip him to the 76ers for Thaddeus Young.
• Phil Hughes gave up a hit to the outfield, but thought it was a line drive back through the box.
• Delmon Young's older, much better-hitting brother, Dmitri Young, has lost a ton of weight.
• On this week's "Gleeman and The Geek" episode we reviewed the Twins' trade deadline moves and non-moves, looked ahead to Vargas' future, and I sang way too much.
• Chris Pratt rapped the entire Eminem part of "Forgot About Dre" and it was actually decent:
I have zero interest in comic book movies, but I'd love Pratt to become a huge star.
• Kennys Vargas is not David Ortiz, as Jesse Lund of Twinkie Town explains.
• On a related note: Vargas really, really doesn't like eating vegetables. "I don't like salad. I eat just meat."
• Kate Upton and Justin Verlander are the cutest.
• Jason DeRusha interviewed Twins president Dave St. Peter over lunch and I especially liked his quote about Twitter: "If you can filter out the crazy stuff and the people who are looking to push buttons, you can make a real connection."
• Here's my weekly half-hour chat with Paul Allen on KFAN.
• Jason Gay of the Wall Street Journal wrote about one of my least favorite (and increasingly prominent) aspects of sports media.
• Sam Fuld, now starting in center field for the A's, made a sick full-body throw.
• Drew Butera caught Chrissy Teigen's ceremonial first pitch at Dodger Stadium:
Much, much better than the time Butera hung out with Kim Kardashian (and Matt Capps).
• Should everyone be freaking out about how bad Oswaldo Arcia has been against lefties?
• Cedar Rapids will be home to the Twins' low Single-A affiliate until at least 2020.
• Impending free agent Pat Neshek has a 0.78 ERA and 49/6 K/BB ratio for the Cardinals, but says he'd like to stay in St. Louis.
• Brunch spot recommendation: Louie's Wine Dive, which has really good food and $12 bottomless mimosas that actually pack some punch. Go there for dinner, too.
• Some of this week's weird and random search engine queries that brought people here:
- "Danny Valencia defense"
- "Danny Valencia, is he a good fielder?"
- "How old is Roy Smalley?"
- "Ben Revere shirtless"
- "Brian Dozier shirtless"
- "Was Danny Santana supposed to be this good?"
- "Aaron Gleeman brunch"
- "Fattest baseball players"
• Finally, this week's AG.com-approved music video is the original "Forgot About Dre" by Dr. Dre and Eminem:
This week's blog content is sponsored by Uber, which is offering a free ride to first-time users who sign up with the promo code "UberGleeman."