December 6, 2013
• I did some hardcore hate-reading of "The Rise and Fall of BlackBerry." My favorite part:
One thing we missed out on was that Justin Bieber wanted to rep BlackBerry. He said, "Give me $200,000 and 20 devices, and I'm your brand ambassador," basically. And we pitched that to marketing: Here's a Canadian kid, he grew up here, all the teeny-boppers will love that. They basically threw us out of the room. They said, "This kid is a fad. He's not going to last." I said at the meeting: "This kid might outlive RIM." Everyone laughed.
And now, just a few years later, some doofus blogger in Minnesota is the last BlackBerry user.
• Seriously, please just die already so I can get on Tinder.
• Miley Cyrus never looked so good.
• Apparently they're just putting my dreams on video now, starting with Aubrey Plaza and Alia Shawkat sitting around smoking pot.
• Irina Werning did an amazing job photographing adults re-enacting their childhood pictures. I can't wait to re-enact this photo some day soon, perhaps around bar close.
• Kirk Goldsberry's in-depth article on Grantland about LeBron James' dominance combines statistical analysis, visual presentation, and original reporting as well as anything I've ever read.
• We recorded this week's "Gleeman and The Geek" episode over brunch and skipped the usual bullshit session to almost exclusively break down the Ricky Nolasco and Phil Hughes signings.
• If you prefer written analysis of the signings, read the Nolasco version and the Hughes version.
• As someone who loves Howard Stern and David Letterman their half-hour chat last week was basically perfect television:
They're definitely my favorite old married couple.
• No. 21 is legit, No. 6 and No. 8 are purely hypothetical, and No. 29 actually sounds good to me.
• Seth Rogan's back hair is the new Kim Kardashian's ass.
• After seeing this I'm thinking about giving the whole Minnesota Daily thing one last try.
• "House of Cards" fans will love this. Also: Robin Wright is amazing at smoking a cigarette.
• I've been doing my own study on this same topic and have come to the same conclusion in the sense that hanging out drinking and talking and having fun stops me from eating.
• I'm printing this out and bringing copies on all future dates.
• The Onion hits on something I've been constantly fighting for about 20 years.
• Wonder Woman is Jewish. Mazel tov.
• Carson Cistulli's latest chat with Dayn Perry was spell-binding as always and 67 minutes in Perry randomly said: "I bet Aaron Gleeman has something similar to a document of sexy ladies."
• Headline of the week/weak: "Male stripper arrested after fight in downtown St. Cloud."
• "Gleeman and The Geek" listeners will be relieved to know that we made our biggest fan happy.
• Few things are more amazing than a motivated pothead.
• In case you thought Nigella Lawson didn't already seem like enough fun.
• One of my most vivid childhood memories, 15 years later.
• So great: 17-year-old Notorious B.I.G. free-styling on a Brooklyn street corner in 1989.
• Maria Bello is one of my favorite actresses and love is love, y'all.
• The latest song/video from my future wife Possum Plows is almost too much for me to handle:
On a related note, I'm taking this as a very strong sign that Ms. Plows is into me too. Gonna be a helluva meet-cute story some day.
• Jared Leto ruined a perfect picture of perfect people.
• I've been staring at this page for the majority of the week.
• Honestly, how do we all feel about "Body Party" by Ciara sounding so much like "Are You That Somebody" by Aaliyah?
• After talking about her on Paul Allen's show Marney Gellner finally got to meet my mom.
• My "Gleeman and The Geek" co-host John Bonnes was a guest on "Talk To Contact" if you're curious what else is out there in the world of Twins podcasts.
• I recapped my bachelor party-going experience on last week's "Gleeman and The Geek" episode, including the story of Bonnes throwing up in a cab, but there's photographic evidence too.
• I'm putting this in Link-O-Rama in part because it made me laugh and in part because it's the closest Dana Wessel can get to making it himself these days.
• JNCOs never went out of style.
• As documented on Twitter, not going to this Thursday night was a big mistake.
• Having been to Town Hall Tap approximately 1,000 times in the last month, I can vouch for this.
• Netflix recommendation: "Somm" is a documentary about people trying to become expert-level sommeliers and it's about a million times better than it sounds.
• Some of this week's weird and random search engine queries that brought people here:
- "Dave Chappelle and Tall Paul"
- "Lady fat nod"
- "Eliza Coupe lookalike pornstar"
- "Reason for Scott Diamond's decline"
- "Aaron Gleeman girlfriend"
- "Joe Mauer girlfriend"
- "Twins my brain shut down"
- "How does a person become a blogger?"
- "Minnesota Twins blog sites"
• Finally, this week's AG.com-approved music video is "Backseat Freestyle" by Kendrick Lamar:
Interested in sponsoring a week of AG.com and advertising your product, service, local business, or website directly to thousands of readers each day? Click here for details.