June 13, 2014
• I'm thrilled that friend of AG.com Randball's Stu/Steve Neuman has been hired by American Public Media and Minnesota Public Radio to "write words for them on various projects." Thrilled!
• This is exactly why I had to block my mom on Facebook last year. Seriously.
• Old friend Matthew LeCroy is now the Nationals' bench coach and he's doing some big things in Washington involving weird sandwiches.
• Topps is producing short-printed cards featuring sabermetric statistics on the back.
• Jon Hamm is a big St. Louis Cardinals fan and now they're giving him a bobblehead doll night.
• Did the Twins make a good move by signing Kendrys Morales? I'm glad you asked.
• On this week's "Gleeman and The Geek" episode we talked a ton of about the Morales signing and analyzed the Twins' draft picks and John Bonnes' dance moves in equal detail.
• Speaking of which, as promised on the podcast here's an extended video of Bonnes on stage at the KFAN "rube party" dancing like a maniac:
There are actually two more videos just like that, including one that also implicates "Gleeman and The Geek" producer Kate Butler, but the world has probably seen enough.
• I'm studying "How To Parallel Park Perfectly, Every Time" because I'm the absolute worst at it.
• Women are learning to be grossed out by me at younger and younger ages these days.
• Good to see Michael Jordan can still have this effect on people too young to have actually grown up watching him play basketball.
• Yoenis Cespedes made an incredible throw. And then he made another one the next night.
• You'll never guess what Jesse Spector of The Sporting News thought of the Twins' television announcing duo.
• Greg Howard's lengthy Deadspin piece about Jason Whitlock, ESPN, and "Black Grantland" was fascinating and, if even mostly true, pretty damning.
• In honor of the World Cup, let the Minnesota United players teach you the rules of soccer.
• Related note: My mentor Dana Wessel is a huge soccer fan--to the point of madness, really--so you should follow him on Twitter during the World Cup. (And also just because he's very funny.)
• Congratulations to my cousin and Hopkins high school pitcher/infielder Josh Gallop for being named to the Academic All-State baseball team. He's also easily the least annoying person in my immediate family, although the competition there is admittedly far less steep.
• I wish I still had this entire outfit.
• Some of this week's weird and random search engine queries that brought people here:
- "Kevin Slowey engaged"
- "Curtis Granderson boxers or briefs?"
- "Joe Mauer batting average"
- "Drug known as Kubel"
- "What did Aaron Gleeman die from?"
- "What happened to Scott Erickson?"
- "Bobby Womack baseball"
- "What did the Twins get Derek Jeter?"
- "Drew Butera personal catcher"
- "Anna Kendrick socks"
• Finally, this week's AG.com-approved music video is "Beautiful" by Miguel and Mariah Carey:
This week's blog content is sponsored by R.F. Moeller Jeweler's repair department, which is recognized as the premier jewelry repair facility in the Twin Cities. Please support them for supporting AG.com.