March 14, 2014
• Who said it: Tom Waits or Rust Cohle?
• Here's the kicker to this story about 19-year-old Bucks rookie Giannis Antetokounmpo that got a lot of headlines: The couple in the story is my aunt and uncle. Seriously.
• As a Gchat power user I loved Julie Buntin's look at flirting and dating via instant message.
• What happens when you put dogs in a photo booth together? Maximum cuteness, that's what.
• Jim Leyland told a great story that involves former Twins catcher Tom Prince and the line "I looked up and the f***er took off!"
• Last week I visited the Hopkins high school newspaper class and they were excited to cover the state basketball tournament. They got great stuff from a crazy championship game.
• Check out the housewarming gift that Link-O-Rama regular (and patriot) Dana Wessel got me.
• On this week's "Gleeman and The Geek" episode a drunk woman interrupted us several times to show us her butt and I attempted to flirt with a waitress, plus we talked about spring training.
• Miguel Sano underwent Tommy John elbow surgery Wednesday and recorded a video message from his hospital bed while being prepped to go under the knife:
Somehow that made me even sadder about the whole thing.
• Elisabeth Moss describing her failed marriage to Fred Armisen: "It was extremely traumatic and awful and horrible."
• It turns out that students drink and do drugs at the University of Minnesota.
• As someone who uses Twitter favorites for both good and evil, I enjoyed this detailed analysis.
• They should do this same thing for work-at-home bloggers too.
• Country Bar, which I've been talking about buying with John Bonnes and Parker Hageman for approximately 10 years now, has officially closed. And we're still too chicken to buy it.
• One of the all-time great PR e-mails I've even gotten.
• Every woman I know will be in attendance at First Avenue for this event next month.
• Every few days I tweet the same stupid "is [famous person] on Tinder?" joke, but apparently now it's actually coming true.
• My latest installment of Twins prospect rankings includes a bunch of high-upside teenagers.
• I'm just hoping that they replace the H&M with an Old Navy to really shake things up.
• Rangers manager Ron Washington paid a fine from MLB with 20,000 pennies.
• Few things are funnier than a little kid very seriously calling a parent by their first name and generally just acting like an old person:
Cupcakes are serious business.
• For my latest NBCSports.com season preview I tried to figure out if the Royals are finally ready to contend in the AL Central.
• Kyle Kinane was a great guest on "Stop Podcasting Yourself" with Dave Shumka and Graham Clark, including shrewdly noting that baseball "is a sport that was invented for cats originally."
• I've been doing a lot of matchmaking lately, with mixed results, but my proudest one is for sure hooking up "The Sportive" podcast with Amelia Rayno of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
• Alan Sepinwall did a good post-finale interview with "True Detective" creator Nic Pizzolatto.
• Restaurant recommendation: Blue Nile, an Ethiopian place in Minneapolis with good food, a nice staff, and a long beer list.
• Paul "Meatsauce" Lambert from KFAN is doing stand-up comedy at the New Hope Cinema Grill tonight and tomorrow night. Go check it out. And be nice if you see me there.
• Some of this week's weird and random search engine queries that brought people here:
- "Aaron Gleeman on Tinder"
- "Has Jon Taffer been in Minnesota?"
- "Sid Hartman net worth"
- "Greg Gagne net worth"
- "Lizzy Caplan podcast appearance"
- "MLB tongue photos"
- "Scott Conant naked shirtless"
- "Money on trees"
- "Luis Rivas designated hitter"
• Finally, because I saw them at The Cedar last weekend they were great this week's AG.com-approved music video is "You Go Down Smooth" by Lake Street Dive: