June 20, 2014
• Tony Gwynn: Great baseball player, better dude.
• By using facial recognition software Match.com is offering to find someone who looks like your ex for the low, low price of $5,000.
• Ryan Howard responded to Nickelback-listening allegations, which are very serious.
• I've had this blog since 2002, so I'm biased, but it's surprising that only seven percent of people have a personal website and that number jumps to only 15 percentage among millennials.
• "The Situation Arrested In Tanning Salon Brawl" is the least surprising headline of all time.
• Lizzy Caplan and Scott Aukerman turn the tables and explain why men just aren't funny:
Every few months it's important to remember that Lizzy Caplan is the best.
• The man, the myth, the legend: Randball's Stu.
• Mike Trout is, once again, the best player in baseball.
• As a big fan of the Oxford comma I'm pleased to see that I'm apparently in the majority.
• If we can start suing people for not understanding sarcasm I'm going to be a billionaire.
• AMC has already ordered a second season of the "Breaking Bad" spinoff "Better Call Saul" and the show isn't even scheduled to debut until 2015.
• Sean Doolittle has the best strikeout-to-walk ratio in baseball history and it's not even close.
• Ben Revere is the cutest and don't you ever forget it:
Also potentially relevant: Revere has a .665 OPS for the Phillies after posting a .645 OPS for the Twins, so he's been the same very interesting, very flawed, and ultimately very mediocre player.
• Fresh off his wedding party taking a group photo on a dock as it collapsed, friend of AG.com and "No Juice Podcast" co-host Dan Anderson took his new bride on a honeymoon to the Dominican Republic ... and wrote about visiting the Twins' baseball academy there.
• Not only is the food incredibly disappointing, everything about BoneYard's brunch setup sounds disgusting to me.
• At the opposite end of the spectrum one of my favorite new restaurants, Heyday, is starting brunch service next month.
• I saw Lake Street Dive at The Cedar a few months ago and they were great, so everyone should go see them at the First Avenue mainroom on August 27.
• One of my favorite stand-up comedians, Jen Kirkman, is coming to Acme Comedy Company in late September. I'll be there and you should be too.
• Some of this week's weird and random search engine queries that brought people here:
- "Tom Barnard baseball scout"
- "10-pound Chinese foods"
- "Trevor May throws hard"
- "David Ortiz blames Tom Kelly"
- "Ryan Doumit shirtless"
- "Shane Mack's new album"
- "Dime store Ryan Gosling"
- "Jim Souhan is fit"
- "Michael Jordan striking a baseball"
• Finally, this week's AG.com-approved music video is "Oxford Comma" by Vampire Weekend:
This week's blog content is sponsored by R.F. Moeller Jeweler's repair department, which is recognized as the premier jewelry repair facility in the Twin Cities. Please support them for supporting AG.com.