For some reason I went through Pitchfork's top 100 songs of 2013 and predictably found myself either disliking or never even hearing all but around a dozen songs, so I decided to put together my own top 30 37. It turns out that most of the songs I thought came out in 2013 actually came out in 2012 or maybe 2005, so this is hardly a definitive ranking. But whatever. Here are a bunch of songs I liked this year:
One thing we missed out on was that Justin Bieber wanted to rep BlackBerry. He said, "Give me $200,000 and 20 devices, and I'm your brand ambassador," basically. And we pitched that to marketing: Here's a Canadian kid, he grew up here, all the teeny-boppers will love that. They basically threw us out of the room. They said, "This kid is a fad. He's not going to last." I said at the meeting: "This kid might outlive RIM." Everyone laughed.
And now, just a few years later, some doofus blogger in Minnesota is the last BlackBerry user.
• Seriously, please just die already so I can get on Tinder.
• Having been to Town Hall Tap approximately 1,000 times in the last month, I can vouch for this.
• Netflix recommendation: "Somm" is a documentary about people trying to become expert-level sommeliers and it's about a million times better than it sounds.
• Some of this week's weird and random search engine queries that brought people here:
- "Dave Chappelle and Tall Paul"
- "Lady fat nod"
- "Eliza Coupe lookalike pornstar"
- "Reason for Scott Diamond's decline"
- "Aaron Gleeman girlfriend"
- "Joe Mauer girlfriend"
- "Twins my brain shut down"
- "How does a person become a blogger?"
- "Minnesota Twins blog sites"
• Finally, this week's AG.com-approved music video is "Backseat Freestyle" by Kendrick Lamar:
Interested in sponsoring a week of AG.com and advertising your product, service, local business, or website directly to thousands of readers each day? Click here for details.