September 23, 2011
• Nunchucks would probably be pretty close to the top of my list of things not to give inmates.
• Life lesson: If you work on the new Charlie's Angels remake and "slap Minka Kelly across the rear end while holding a $100 bill" the producers will fire you. Presumably he reacted like this.
• Glen Rice is pretty smooth: "It was all done in a respectful way, nothing hurried."
• Rob Ryan and I apparently have similar taste, as the Cowboys defensive coordinator had a photo of Official Fantasy Girl of AG.com candidate Diora Baird on his play chart last week.
• Thanks to Judd Zulgad and Joe Anderson for having me on their new 1500-ESPN radio show to talk baseball yesterday. You can listen to my half-hour appearance by clicking here.
• Ozzie Guillen on marriage: "What attracted me to my wife is she's hot. She's also nice, she's a great mom, but that comes after she's hot."
• Adele hopefully at least has some recording time set aside for when they break up again.
• Reminder: TwinsCentric is hosting a get-together tomorrow afternoon for the Twins-Indians game. I'll be there, along with John Bonnes, Seth Stohs, Nick Nelson, and Parker Hageman, and we'll be recording an episode of "Gleeman and The Geek" too. For details, click here.
• As a huge fan of The Wire it pains me to see Bodie Broadus doing lame commercials:
In fairness to Fedex, he was always pretty good at delivering packages.
• Not only is former Gophers wide receiver Eric Decker starting to put up some good numbers for the Broncos, he's apparently dating country music singer Jessie James.
• It turns out if you request a new meme people on the internet will actually make one for you.
• Between being played by Brad Pitt and getting kissed too many times by Angelina Jolie this Moneyball movie has really been rough on Billy Beane.
• Moneyball, Pitt, and the equation for FIP are on the cover of Sports Illustrated. xFIP is jealous.
• Amelia Rayno of the Minneapolis Star Tribune wrote a lengthy "where are they now?" feature about Chuck Knoblauch and his reclusive retirement.
• According to Esquire magazine 90 percent of great-looking women cook without pants on.
• My nomination for worst person ever goes to whomever stole the glasses off Ernie Harwell.
• This might be the lamest arrest in NBA history.
• I'm a sucker for outtakes, especially from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia:
Charlie Day's genius has never been more apparent.
• Howard Lederer and Chris Ferguson reportedly earned $72 million from their involvement with Full Tilt Poker, which is now accused of being "a global Ponzi scheme."
• Rookie hazing now extends to the bullpen bathroom.
• Based on this Portland Oregonian column David Kahn penned in 1989 about the Trailblazers' "poor, deluded men" I wonder what he'd write about the Timberwolves' current situation.
• It sounds like Patrick Reusse's son is a stat-head, which amuses me. Good column, too.
• Netflix streaming recommendation: Conan O'Brien is significantly funnier and more likeable in "Conan O'Brien Can't Stop" than he's ever been on his talk show.
• Reading the glowing reviews of "Drive" makes me think I'm insane. I disliked it despite being a Ryan Gosling fan and the audience I saw it with laughed at most of the dramatic moments.
• Christina Hendricks had a minor role in "Drive," but she was much better in this.
• Eric Freeman of The A.V. Club wrote a guide to choosing the right entrance song for closers.
• Gregg Rosenthal's kid is only one day old and already has her own post on ProFootballTalk.
• Finally, this week's AG.com-approved music video is "Samson" by Regina Spektor:
The “Drive” audience laughed at the serious parts? Since when is an anonymous group of people the barometer for your analysis of anything? Or at least the support for your argument?
Comment by Eric — September 23, 2011 @ 12:30 am
OK, I apologize. I was going for a kind of “small sample size” thing, but it didn’t come across.
Comment by Eric — September 23, 2011 @ 12:41 am
Make that “with” whom..too early for typing.
Seems Mr Reusse (Pat) just a wee bit late to the Capps for Ramos trade fiasco.
Comment by Pat — September 23, 2011 @ 1:38 am
Aaron, I meant to ask what effect Berkman’s contract would have/indicate about Cuddeyer?
Comment by mike wants wins — September 23, 2011 @ 9:08 am
David Kahn >> Bill Smith
Comment by Just saying — September 24, 2011 @ 12:34 pm